Monday, September 10, 2007

Geppi's Entertainment Museum, So Much Fun!

So after battling back and forth with myself, I have chosen three topics for my future blogging:

1. Strawberry Shortcake

2. Charmed (the television series)

3. X-Men.

This past weekend I visited Geppi’s Entertainment Museum for my American Studies class. I was thoroughly pleased the museum and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed their childhood. There were so many things there that were relevant to me, because I had a lot of toys. Because I am the youngest child in my family I played with my siblings toys which were from the 1970’s to the 1990’s. One object that now sticks out in my mind was the case filled with Batman paraphernalia from the 1960’s television series which starred Adam West. It had pencils and figurines and random toys with the shows insignia on them. Growing up, my babysitter would put some re-runs of that show on while we ate a snack and I remember how the words were giant on the screen when there was a fight. “POW”, “BAP”, and “BAM” are some examples that still make me laugh when I think of the show. I also saw a lot of other toys that have some small nostalgic meaning to me. There were Wonder Woman and Sheera comics that I remember. Also some Barbies that I played with that none of my friends had because they were already discontinued. When I walked into the Star Wars room, I laughed at the giant Millennium Falcon that hung from the ceiling. My brother had a slightly smaller one that hung up in his room. There was some pretty interesting stuff at the museum. I had no idea that comics carried political weight. Superheroes were already promoting a patriotic pride before America entered WWI, and pilots spawned the creation of the fictional flying characters that appeared just before WWII.. The museum holds the past and preserves it well and I feel it is a beneficial place where we can revisit our childhoods and see the evolution of the characters and toys that we held so dear.

No comments: