Monday, September 17, 2007

Pop Topic

Okay, so I settled on the X-Men movies for my topic. I know it was not one that I had previously described, but after thinking more about my trip to Geppi's, I realized that action heroes had a huge effect on American society during the depression and thought that this was a good rout to go.
I decided to interview a friend of mine, who I will refer to as Big L. He is a fan of the X-Men movies, and since I have only seen the first one, I figure I can gain some perspective and insight about the rest of the series of movies and the characters.
These are some questions that I have been thinking about asking...
  1. Do you feel that action hero stories have had a positive influence on American culture?
  2. What is it about the X-Men movies that you find interesting. Do you think this makes X-Men stand apart from other hero stories?
  3. Which character do you most identify with and why?
  4. Is there any quality or trait that this character has that you wish you could posses as well? In other words, what is so admirable about this character?
  5. If you were an "X-Men", what special power would you want to have?

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I think this is going to be pretty interesting. I was never into comic book super heros too much. my neighbor loved x-men but i dont remember it at all. i've never seen any of the movies and i dont really have any plans, too. Im kind of intrigued by people that love superhero movies. Okay, the batman movies were great but i hate the super man movies, and all the other marvel movies that have come/are coming out. They just aren't appealing to me and I know people that get REALLY into them and I just don't get it. So this should be pretty interesting!

Miranda Jones said...

I think you have a lot of good questions to work from. Another idea to look into for your interview is whether the person is/was a fan of the comic books and if so does this influence their opinion of the movies.

Also, you might want to ask the person which X-men movie they like the best and why, especially since the last X-men movie was directed by a different person than the first two.

keith mercier said...

I have been an X-Men fan since I was a kid. While it is always fun to talk about which character's super powers you would want, X-Men is unique in the comics world because it portrays super heroes being persecuted for their differences. I think it would be interesting to try to direct your interview at least in part toward the idea of X-Men as an allegory for gay or minority rights. If you find an interviewee who is a really big fan, he/she will almost certainly bring up this point.